Wednesday, May 30, 2012

an oklahoma storm

Last night I had my first storm shelter experience. I've been in numerous storm shelters in my life, but never actually during a storm. We didn't have a shelter when I was little and storms are pretty scary without a shelter, especially in Oklahoma - in the middle of tornado alley. Anyway, we were planning to just stay in our house during the storm since it was only supposed to hail; however, the weather channel decided to mention that just earlier, there wasn't supposed to be a tornado and one was produced before a tornado watch was even given. Then we noticed on our weather app that the precautions for this particular storm said to get into a shelter. So, we abided. Aven was pretty interested in all the fuss and didn't make a peep the entire time we were down there, except when we started getting all hot and sweaty. My phone happened to go dead just like it always does when I need it most. Rob had to brave the storm once it died down to go run and get his phone so we could check to make sure the storm was actually over before we went back home.

Our electricity was off when we got back home, but came back on after an hour or so. It ended up that we didn't even get any hail where we were, although a few very small tree branches fell down in our yard. We're supposed to get more, maybe worse storms tonight. I hate Oklahoma summers for this very reason. Storm watching is especially stressful with a new little baby. Plus, I always want to pack up all my important gadgets like my camera and computer, just in case.

I guess this post isn't really that great; I usually only write when I have something important or insightful to say. Meh. It was an interesting night. Hopefully tonight will miss us and not be as bad as they think.

Also, I think it's funny that while we were watching the weather to see whether we needed to go to the shelter or not, the lady reporting says "Now, this is really important..what you need to do RIGHT NOW is...

go outside, check your roof, and call your insurance agent."

What?! I don't wanna go outside and check my roof! It's about to storm and that seems really unsafe, lady!

Not the best of advice if you ask me. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment