Wednesday, June 27, 2012

our ergo

I decided to post this blog because I got two comments on our carrier today, and because my daughter is actually taking a nap on her own for once. I'm not one of those moms that tries out every carrier and ends up with a million of them until I find the right one. I'm not like that with most things, in fact. I like to take my time and look up a million and one reviews until I think I've found out the good and the bad about everything and I can make an informed decision on what I want.

We started out with the Moby wrap. Now, I loved the idea of the Moby and I wanted to love it, but as Aven kept getting bigger, the Moby kept getting harder and harder to use. It hurt my back and was just too stretchy. Plus, every time I tried to put it on when I was about to do something while I was out, it would drag all over the ground and get really dirty and I don't need another thing to wash. It was really great when Aven was a tiny baby and would just sleep in it, but as soon as she was big enough to hold her head up and thrash around, it just didn't work out. At this point, I started looking for something more structured. I believe I was trying to decide between all three (or is it four?) Ergo carriers and then the Beco carrier. They're pretty similar but I believe the Beco has a piece of fabric that goes in between you and baby for extra support and for easy access to the back carry position. Anyway, I ended up deciding on the Ergo, and even more specific, the Ergo Organic because I read that the original is pretty rough and scratchy. Oh, I also want to add that one of the main reasons for my choosing between these two carriers, besides the ergonomics and the fact that they put most of baby's weight on your hips as opposed to your back, is the fact that baby is in a sitting position when being carried. "Crotch danglers" are not the way to go when baby wearing. The baby bjorn, although popular, carries your baby is a horrible position, supported on only their crotch with their legs straight down. Baby's hips are still supposed to be pretty spread apart at this point and aren't meant to be straight like adults. This is known to cause hip dysplasia as well as other problems with the hips and legs.

Anyway, enough of that. Now I'll tell you what we like about it.

1.) We love the fact that it puts baby's weight on mom's hips.
2.) We love the fact that mom can be hands free!
3.) Aven loves being able to interact with people's faces instead of their knees.
4.) We love that Aven can sleep in the carrier when she's being a fuss bucket. Sometimes the Ergo is my last resort and it usually works every time!
5.) We love that it's cute!
6.) I love that there's a pocket that perfectly fits my wallet, keys and cell phone.

Here are some things that take getting used to.

1.) It's pretty hard to figure out at first. The instructions are your friend; read them.
2.) The back strap is hard for me to reach, but I've finally figured out a method to buckle it and I think my arm has gotten stretchier.
3.) The bottom of it is bent now because I sit in it so often, but that's really not a problem.

I think that's it. We love our Ergo! If you're considering one and have any questions that aren't answered here, feel free to ask away! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment